Armor Degradation

Gutsy

Rookie
Staff Member
Sep 30, 2021
Hey Guys,

One of the things that I would like to suggest for the server is after a certain amount of hits if the armor would reduce in level until it is repaired. The reason for this is that, as I have been told and experienced. No one will sell you anything short of an assault rifle or long rifle because it "Won't hurt anything" and quite frankly it's starting to annoy me. A good example of this is that I took the SMG expert perk and no one will sell me an SMG. Furthermore, they've even suggested I contact staff to remake the character with that useless trait.

I feel an armor degradation system would be a good way of countering this due to offering a balance between hard hitting weapons that can just straight penetrate armor and rapid fire weapons that can wear someone down.

Regards,
Gutsy.

Anatoli

Rookie
Staff Member
May 17, 2021
Sky has weapon and armor degradation codes on the literal shelf, but there’s plenty of problems that we could go into should we decide as a community whether or not it should be implemented.

I was originally a proponent of weapon durability so that greater distribution could be allowed, and minus the occasional trench coat or vest drop we’d keep armor on the down low. When we factor in crap like upkeep, however, things rapidly get more complicated. How should we tune degradation by bullet per suit, what penalties should be implemented on both ends? We also have weapon jamming for old ammo but determining all this stuff would hurt early economy and turn a majority away at the complexity, besides how it would effect gear progression.

A primary buff to submachine guns would probably be to use something like a PPSH early, and I’ve had good success with it at times especially in S2Script, and transitioning to other guns like UMP .45 or the P90 would become available after saving up with such a cost effective and equally deadly starter weapon. Equipping AP ammo and using rapid fire guns in close or medium range and aiming for the head is also means suppressing fire is lethal against most rifle users, but that’s getting off track.

We get that a meta is bound to crop up, but just play how you wanna and figure it out, stack the odds in any way you can or try to avoid fights altogether. If a predominant weapon type becomes unhealthy, changes can be thrown about but for now, ARs are pretty standard and it’s an equal part long rifles and pistols, minus the occasional shotgun.

Gutsy

Rookie
Staff Member
Sep 30, 2021
Honestly the best way to do it would be after a certain amount of hits it goes down one level of protection, that way better armor still lasts longer. As for early economy. It's a bit of a joke really, I was pressured to get an SVT over a SMG or Shotgun because "Armor Penetration" to the point of them literally refusing to sell. "Because your useless otherwise" A meta is an optimum strategy, however if things literally cannot do a job then they're thrown out.